Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Prize crosswords: what are your chances of winning?

It will depend on the circulation and degree of difficulty. I'd like to know how many entries they get on average for: 1 Radio Times, 2 Mail on Sunday (拢1500), and 3 Scottish Daily Record (拢500, Tuesdays and Sats).

The Listener was reckoned to be the hardest, and in the 1950s its circulation was about 150,000. The average number of entries was variously reported as 200 and 440. In 1991 The Listener closed and the crossword transferred to The Times (Books section, Sats). The average weekly entry is 600, which is about 1/1000 of the circulation.

By that reckoning and based on circulations, the average number of entries for the 3 examples I quoted would be Radio Times 1000, Mail on Sunday 2300, and Daily Record 620.

But does anyone KNOW any of these figures?Prize crosswords: what are your chances of winning?
Not me. I used to mail in the Sunday Times answers regularly when I was in England, but not one bite. Then I cheered myself up by realizing that the investment of the cost of a stamp in hopes of a L10 prize was infinitely more sensible than buying a lottery ticket. It's (hopefully) just a raffle, and I never won one of those either. Once you get beyond your chances of winning a coin toss, I think that everything is a "long shot."Prize crosswords: what are your chances of winning?
Thank you. I hope that your number comes up some day.

Report Abuse

  • what is a computer
  • characters dragon age
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment