Friday, March 2, 2012

Has my relative's German Shepherd chosen me as his new 'master' now that I see him daily?

I moved close by to my uncle's house about 6 months ago.



My uncle lives on his own and owns a 5 year old German Shepherd (who he has had since he was a puppy). To be honest, this dog is not extremely socialized (because my uncle lives on his own, therefore he isn't the friendliest dog to strangers). When my uncle first purchased him, almost 5 years ago, I stayed at my uncle's house for about three weeks. So I fed the dog, played with him, carried him, took him to the vet etc.



Since I moved close by to them, I come to see the dog almost every day for the past six months. I go over to play with him and sit with him (for about 3 hours), then take him for a run with me. I've trained him to obey new commands. I am the only other person he listens to and lets in and out of the house (besides my uncle).



Now whenever my uncle and I get to his house (after work), the dog automatically runs to me. He almost never acknowledges my uncle. Plus, I'm allowed to touch his food while he is eating (whereas, if my uncle touches his food while he is eating, he'll growl at him)/. Also he went through a 'seperation anxiety' stage when I went on holidays for 10 days.



What do you reckon?? Has he adopted me as his 'master', or does he just feel super comfortable with me because I see him every day?Has my relative's German Shepherd chosen me as his new 'master' now that I see him daily?
Its definitly possible that the dog has switched his allegiances to you.

Your uncle maybe a weak character and also may have not bothered to train or walk this dog much. German shepherds revel in being trained and walked and taken notice of and most dogs are drawn towards a strong natured person, (especilly one that does training with them and walks with them.)

It does sound like this gsd feels a bit of contempt for its owner if it growls at him over food.

There is obviously some empathy between you and this dog and yes, i think he could now view you as his mentor and leader.

Just because the dog has been with your uncle for 5 years does not mean that the relationship between them was ideal. Dogs can and do switch their allegiance if its to their advantage, make no mistake about that. Dogs with a really strong bond to their owners do not need to do this. Thats why being a fair but firm dog owner is important. Jmo.
It is most likely because you provide him with a lot of care and attention, but it may be a male/female thing as to why your uncle isn't quite as close. This dog may see your uncle a little bit as a competitive alpha, even if he does not act it all the time.Has my relative's German Shepherd chosen me as his new 'master' now that I see him daily?
He knows he is your uncle's dog, but he would like to be yours too or maybe even primarily. You are a member of the family. You have taken care of his needs, provided comfort and fun. He loves you.
Dogs are social. Your uncle's dog wants the attention that you give him. He accepts and trusts you. You're part of the pack.Has my relative's German Shepherd chosen me as his new 'master' now that I see him daily?
nope

you just give attention and training
One main thing that I love about animals, cat and dogs, they love us unconditionally. The dog is probably happier to see you when you come in because you give the dog the attention, company, and cuddling he needs. Dogs are social animals, and if there aren't any around, they he seems to have adopted you as the "alpha" or head of the family. Maybe your uncle yells at the dog or gets impatient, and that may be one reason why he won't let your uncle touch his food while eating, the dog is now trying to be the alpha male over your uncle. You have let the dog know that he is worth being loved and cuddled and given attention to. Good for you for doing just that. A dog needs more than food and shelter, they need love and companionship just as us humans do.

No comments:

Post a Comment